Monday, March 24, 2008

Third person form

Greetings all,

Many people have asked me why I insist on the use of third person form in all of the girls I mentor or train. I thought I would take a brief intermission from my notes on Submission and the Single Female to explain.

For those who are unfamiliar form perhaps a brief definition would be helpful. Third person form (TPF) requires that the speaker never use words such as "me," "I," "mine," etc, when speaking of themselves. Rather, they use third person pronouns (she, her, this one, etc) when they wish to perform a personal reference. For example, the phrase "I am happy I can be of service" would be transformed to "She is happy her service is found pleasing" or some variant. If the girl is named, she may also use her name to self-reference or another descriptor (this girl, this slave, this slut, etc).

A second, more formal and challenging, form of this discipline is requiring that the girl not be allowed to use second person familiar pronouns (you, yours, etc) when referencing her dominant partner. So the phrase "I am happy to be of service to you" would become "She is happy to be of service to her Master." I rarely require this second form from a girl, except on special occasions, or as an advanced training device, or as a punishment technique.

Most women tend to balk when first require to speak in TPF. They find it to be artificial, constraining, and de-personalizing. Too, since I tend to punish for any infractions of form it tends to make them less willing to speak at times, fearful that they will make a mistake. I have also spoken to a number of other dominants and have come to the conclusion that very few of them require this of their submissives, and in fact that quite a few of them to not care for the sound of it.

So, why do I insist on TPF from any girl who enters into a relationship with me? What follows are my reasons:

1) TPF is challenging. Using the form requires constant attention on the part of the speaker. This attention acts as an ongoing reminder of the girls nature (her submission), and her relationship to me.

2) TPF creates a new persona for the girl. Many newly awakened submissives find it difficult to reconcile their nature with how they have been conditioned to view themselves. TPF allows for the creation of a new persona who wholly accepts her nature. Of course, in time, this persona must be integrated, which is one of the tasks of the dominant.

3) TPF has an erotic component. When using the form the submissive is constantly reminded that she is under discipline to the dominant. This reinforcement is significant and powerful, particularly in the newly awakened submissive. Such a powerful reminder is often enough on its own to provoke the condition known as sub-fever. Even in the experienced submissive, using TPF will often invoke a sense of the erotic

4) TPF provides an ongoing discipline. A submissive requires structure, framework and rules to operate within. The most common way to achieve this is through the use of disciplines. The problem with most disciplines is that they generally do not take too much time to perform. For example, a dominant may require that the submissive wait for permission before eating. This is good, but would only happen three times a day. Another example might be the discipline if requiring the submissive to keep a daily journal. Again, this is an excellent device but at most would only consume a limited amount of time every day. OTOH, TPF is an ongoing discipline that may be used all day long.

5) TPF may be used in public. For example, when the couple is in a restaurant, or shopping, etc, TPF may be used. This allows for the dynamics of the D/s relationship to be maintained, even in locations where disciplines such as kneeling, obeisance, and other disciplines might be inappropriate.

6) TPF is an excellent training device for both the submissive and the dominant. While I have listed many of the benefits of this form for the submissive it should also be obvious that it has benefits for the dominant partner. It requires that he pays attention to the speech patterns of the submissive, correcting and/or punishing her as required. This attention will focus him more on the submissive, and therefore allow him to gain a better appreciation of the different ways in which she communicates with him. For the emerging dominant such opportunities should not be ignored.

7) I like hearing a girl speak in this form. I find it pleasing to my ear. Enough said.

Be seeing you,

6 comments:

sienna said...

Greetings Sir,

What this one has found interesting about TPF,is that after a while it becomes part of ones nature. For this one it is also a way to center herself..

Thank you for your post
respectfully
sienna

tonja said...

Good morning, Mr. Cross.

I found it the most challenging, because I felt it was insulting to my intelligence; this is not to say, it was the intended purpose, only that my mind perceived it as being so.

I certainly do agree it is a very valuable training device, and also, aknowledge the benefits I gained from your expectations.

Thank you, for a very interesting read.

With respect,

tonja

sienna said...

Greetings tonja,

That is interesting,this one never thought that it could be interpreted that way. Thank you for sharing that.

wishing you a blessed day

sienna

Anonymous said...

greetings, Mr. Cross

You mentioned "TPF creates a new persona for the girl." I didn't really find this to be the case. Though the use of TPF reinforced an alternate personna to help deal with the changes I was experiencing, being given a new name is what really brought it to the surface.

What I found most beneficial with TPF was that it helped me think outside myself, to realize that serving a dominant means my life is no longer self-focused. That all my decisions and actions are geared to what will be most pleasing to my dominant rather than what will be most pleasing to me.

Now, I notice instantly whenever someone else speaks in third person. What I've observed is that when it happens outside of a D/s or M/s relationship, it usually reflects that the person thinks of themselves as bigger or more important than others. Interesting how TPF can be both prideful and humbling depending on the situation.

Wishing you most well,
amber

Anonymous said...

you have managed, in this short post, to change my mind around.

as i read through the archives, i have become quite taken with your insights on the D/s dynamic, and have waited for this very post. this is an issue i have pondered for quite some time (although my Master has never requested it of me).

obviously, if Master had required this of me, i would have done it immediately, but before i read this, had you asked my opinion of it, i would have answered that i thought it silly and dehumanizing (which is nice in play but not for the day-to-day).

however, after reading your reasoning, i must admit that it not only doesn't seem silly, it is quite appealing, and am now wondering how i would feel doing it.

thank you!

rose

Mackenzie Cross said...

Greetings rose,

Thank you for your comment. I am glad if you have found my words to be of some value.

My feeling is that TPF is very much misunderstood in the BDSM community. It is too often seen as a punishment device. Many submissives complain about it, and in truth many dominants claim they don't enjoy it.

For myself, not only do I enjoy it, but I think a girl speaking in TPF is made even more beautiful, when she does it correctly.

As to you having the experience, well, there is nothing to stop you from begging your Master to place you under this discipline, eh?

Again, thank you for your comment.

Be seeing you,

Cross Purposes via RSS. Subscribe now!

Lijit Search