Thursday, August 21, 2008

Consensual or Brainwashing? Part 2

Greetings all,

Is the mentoring/training process a true consensual experience, or is it in reality an insidious form of mind control via brainwashing?

Hmmm…

Let me start by saying that I do not know a great deal about brainwashing, except perhaps what I have seen in some bad movies about the cold war, and some spy thrillers which I have read. However, I do not feel I require detailed knowledge of how to brainwash someone in order to comment, because at its root, brainwashing is a non-consensual activity. What do I mean by this statement?

I suppose that the classical view of brainwashing is where someone’s perception of reality is modified in some manner so that they do and say things they ordinarily would not. I am sure we are all familiar with the scenario where a citizen of one country is captured by the enemy, and through a series of tortures and other activities is somehow persuaded to go back to their home country and assassinate the President, or perform some other dastardly deed. I do not think I really have to discuss this scenario in relation to D/s training/mentoring, since I have no desire to assassinate anyone, nor am I in the business of abducting people against their will.

However, there are other forms of brainwashing that should be considered. For example, what about the various religious cults which seem to foster all manner of strange and often maladaptive behaviours on the part of their members? From what I know of them, the participants seem quite willing to embrace the modifications which are made to their mental processes. They will give away their money, give up their families, even give up their lives, if the cult leader requires it. And do so happily and willingly.

But here again, these techniques do not map well to what I do during training and mentoring. For example, for the cult system to work, the participant must be removed from their regular environment and placed in a location where they will be surrounded by others who constantly reinforce the message of the leader. My techniques REQUIRE that the participant start actively involved in her current situation, and I ENCOURAGE her friends to question my techniques as much as they feel is appropriate. IOW – I welcome critique, rather than suppress it. Further, the cult brainwashing technique is fundamentally geared to satisfying the desires/demands of the leader. While certainly my techniques try to teach the submissive to focus on being pleasing, they also require her to be responsible and accountable for her actions. IOW – at every turn she must question if this is something she wishes to do.

So, whatever mentoring/training is, I don’t think the cult model fits. My model requires not only the willing consent of the submissive, but also must face the challenge of those around her who might be opposed to it. Further, as I mentioned in my previous post on this topic, I require that the female go through a lengthy vetting process before I will accept her into a formal relationship.

All this having been said, I do suppose there are some elements of brainwashing in some of my techniques. For example, I will teach a girl certain phrases, rituals, or disciplines which reinforce her submission and then have her repeat them over and over again. I will create scenarios where she is placed in a dilemma in how best to serve, pushing her into an unbalanced state, from which she may be more open to my ideas and suggestions. I will manipulate her emotions to make her more receptive to a new emotional state. These techniques could be viewed as a form of brainwashing I suppose.

But I prefer to call it de-programming.

By the time most females come to me they have had a lifetime of social conditioning. This conditioning has basically taught them that their inner nature is wrongful and evil. This conditioning has created a mental state which makes them fearful of their true nature. This conditioning has reinforced their belief that being female is the same as being male, that it is wrong to feel feminine, that being submissive means being weak, passive and inferior. For the deeply submissive female, our modern day Western culture and society is an open prison from which they cannot escape. They are led to believe that their sexual cravings are immoral, and that their desire to serve a dominant male is a betrayal to their gender. They are made to feel that the display of such things would have them branded as traitors and whores.

And so they have learned to cover up these desires and cravings with layers and layers of armour, and defenses which manifest themselves in many many ways. It is my task, to help them break down these barriers, see themselves for who they are, and joyfully accept their nature. I don’t think of this as brainwashing, I think of it as cleansing.

Of course, others (many others) disagree. Which is why I am always very very careful before I start a formal relationship with any girl. Not all women are deeply submissive, not all women have the maturity and sense of self to handle this journey. I need to be sure before I start that they will. Still, I sometimes make mistakes, and a girl fails to make it through the process. When that happens I feel that I have failed her, and I am despondent. Happily, that does not happen to often.

Perhaps, in the final analysis, the best case I can make against my techniques being a form of brainwashing is the references of the wonderful girls it has been my pleasure to train and/or mentor. Each and every one of them is a jewel in their own right. Each of them, even though the formal part of the relationship is over and we no longer interact as much as we once did, will speak well of me, not because I require them to do so, but because in their hearts they are grateful for the changes I have created inside of them.

And that, is the best reward of all.

Be seeing you,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Cross:

Perhaps the "phrases, rituals and disciplines" could be considered a kind of 'behavior modification' process.

Would you be willing to talk about them more? In an educational environment use is made of repetition, reinforcement, and rehearsal, and it sounds as if your training methods use similar strategies. Perhaps you would be prepared to share with us, what strategies are especially useful.

Thank you
Rob

Cross Purposes via RSS. Subscribe now!

Lijit Search